Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:16:38 +0100
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.ORG>, Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>, Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Statement regarding FreeBSD release ISO images

Matthew Dillon(dillon@apollo.backplane.com)@2003.01.30 12:50:17 +0000:
>     I think it would be far easier to simply have each site create a
>     resource files, /pub/FreeBSD/resources.txt or /pub/FreeBSD.resources,
>     which lists mirror services available at that site.  Then a simple script
>     on freefall or hub could run through the list of download sites and
>     collect all the resources file together into a master list.

*bzzt* This would make the "outdated mirror" problem even worse, because
there'd be an automated system collecting human input (that might be
wrong). The mirroring idea behind rsync and cvsup is to reduce human
interaction, not to increase it. Why should the world out there start
editing text files, if there's a new platform/collection to add?

IMVHO, it would make sense to spend a few inodes on ftp-master for
semaphore files that serve as timestamp and subcollection identifiers.
- These files must not contain with a dot, rather with an underscore
  ('_mirror_data'), as this would retain their visibility on the
  different mirror's systems
- The files' contents can be used for additional meta data
- The files' locations are in their corresponding collections'
  subdirectories
- The timestamp of these files is reset every half hour by feeding a
  find output or file list into 'xargs touch'
- A master collection list can be compiled by a simple find command
- An automated collection cataloger can the retrieve the collection
  identifier files from the mirrors
- Retrieval results can be compiled to a comprehensive mirror directory
  and/or to a sysinstall mirror list
- Retrieval results can be compiled into detailed statistics on who
  mirrors what and when and in which mode
- Using the refined information, heavily lagged mirrors or unmaintained
  mirrors find their way out of the list automagically (for example,
  based on thresholds, with different levels of deactivation)

This solution would be
- simple
- flexible
- extensible
- clean
- interesting

Please tell me what you think.

Regards,
/k

--
> A Christian is a man who feels repentance on Sunday for what he did on
> Saturday and is going to do on Monday.  --Thomas Ybarra
WebMonster Community Project -- Reliable and quick since 1998 -- All on BSD
http://www.webmonster.de/ - ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ - http://www.rohrbach.de/
GnuPG:   0xDEC948A6 D/E BF11 83E8 84A1 F996 68B4  A113 B393 6BF4 DEC9 48A6
REVOKED: 0x2964BF46 D/E 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 BF46
REVOKED: 0x4C44DA59 RSA F9 A0 DF 91 74 07 6A 1C  5F 0B E0 6B 4D CD 8C 44