Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:18:21 +0200
From:      Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
To:        FreeBSD-isdn@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble getting an AVM A1 running in kernel ppp mode

On Friday, 20. June 2003 15:28, you wrote:

Hello,

> The AVM A1 is an 8-bit card, so it cannot use IRQ 11.
> Looking at the card in front of me I see it has jumpers on it:
>
> IRQ 2-3-4-5-6-7
>
> IO 200-240-300-340

Wait a moment; I never looked at the card this closely (I more or less
inherited it, so I don't have a manual or anything, either...), but this
makes me wonder ("uuuuh, it really makes me wonder..."):
How come then, FreeBSD says:
isic0 at port
0xb40-0xb5f,0x340-0x35f,0x1340-0x135f,0xf20-0xf3f,0x720-0x73f,0x1720-0x173f,0x1b40-0x1b5f
iomem 0xd0000 ir
isic0: passive stack unit 0
isic0: AVM A1 or Fritz!Card Classic

There a several things that seem really weird to me:
1) If the A1 does not support irq 11 (and I believe you are right about
this), why does FreeBSD seem to accept this setting? When I try irq 3, I get
an error about FreeBSD being unable to assign irq 3 to the card.
2) Under Linux, the A1 works just fine with irq 3 and io 0x340. If these
settings are set using jumpers, why ... you know... Why doesn't FreeBSD
accept these settings? And why does it accept settings that you say cannot be
right?

> I would try 5 as IRQ. Look for IO conflicts with other cards.
> Then again, I suspect the problem lies elsewhere. Hope Gary can supply
> a patch.

The only other device that uses irq 3 (afaik) is my serial port. Which I
don't use. Serial ports just suck. =) But when I deactivate it in
/boot/device.hints  (hint.sio.0.disabled="1" hint.sio.1.disabled="1"),
nothing seems to change. Serial ports are still recognized. ;-?
When I deactivate the serial ports from BIOS, this changes. But - this is by
far the strangest behavior my computer has showed for a long time! - then
Linux ceases to recognize the A1. =) This seems to be more of a
linux-problem, however.
I also tried to put in the hint.isic.*-entries *before* the
hint.sio.*-entries, but to no avail.

> I believe to recall that 5.0-R had problems with the kernel timer
> routines and this got fixed in a later 5.1-current.
>
> So you have two options:
>
> Either go back to 4.8-STABLE or stumble ahead and go for 5.1-RELEASE.
> (but I leave the last word to the gurus :-).

Oh man... this is so great.
If that's all I can do, I guess I'd rather upgrade than downgrade. But that
would require either a new Install-CD or a lot of downloading. I just got the
5.0-RELEASE CDs, and I'm a rather lazy downloader (plus I still pay for
internet by the minute).

But maybe I can make it for some time without ISDN4BSD, because I plan to
upgrade to DSL eventually. With DSL I don't need the ISDN card any more,
except maybe for logging phone activity.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Kind regards,

Benjamin

- --