Date:      24 Aug 2003 12:58:49 +0200
From:      Alexander Pohoyda <alexander.pohoyda@gmx.net>
To:        bruno schwander <bruno@tinkerbox.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ibm thinkpad 600, freeze when serial port accessed ...

bruno schwander <bruno@tinkerbox.org> writes:

> sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
> sio0: type 8250

I have also had some problems with serial ports in the past, but it
has been a long time ago and I don't recall the details.

That's what I get on my ThinkPad 600 (4.8-STABLE):
sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A

Configured like this:
device          sio
option          PNPBIOS

Another ThinkPad 600E (4.8-RELEASE) gives me:

sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A

Configured with:
device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
device          sio2    at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5
device          sio3    at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9
option          PNPBIOS

Both ports work, I've just verified it with cu.

> Anybody using successfully their serial port on a thinkpad 600, please let
> me know your configuration...

Try turning on the option PNPBIOS in your kernel configuration file first.
If this does not help, I will boot into DOS and tell you my settings from
the ps2 tool.

--
Alexander Pohoyda
<alexander.pohoyda@gmx.net>