Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2003 12:56:59 -0300
From:      Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paul Pathiakis <paul@pathiakis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ogle 0.8.5 and beyond (audio and aRts)

Hi,

	Okay, you're running KDE aRts daemon. It uses
/dev/dsp to play audio. Unfortunaly, 2 different applications
cannot share the same /dev/dsp device. Therefore, ogle cannot
use the device since aRts already holds it.

	There a couple of things we can try though.
For instance, the "KDE on FreeBSD" FAQ has a similar response
for xmms (which has the same problem):

- KDE on FreeBSD
http://freebsd.kde.org/faq.shtml

----

Q9: How can I make arts play nicely with xmms (or any other sound
application)?

A9.1: Let's start with ls /dev/dsp*. If you get a list like this
(and you probably will, most modern sound cards will be auto set
up this way) you're already good to go:

/dev/dsp /dev/dsp0.0 /dev/dsp0.2 /dev/dsp0 /dev/dsp0.1 /dev/dsp0.3

If you only have dsp + dsp0, or possibly dsp0.0, you need to set
some things up by hand. Put the following two lines into
/etc/sysctrl.conf:

hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4
hw.snd.maxautovchans=4

In the KDE Control Center, tell arts to use /dev/dsp0.1. If you use
esd, tell it to use /dev/dsp0.2 (just don't ask me how to do that,
I don't use esd). Applications like XMMS and others will continue
to use the defaults (/dev/dsp0 or /dev/dsp0.0) and you will still
have /dev/dsp0.3 if you come up with anything else that still
clashes.

----

	You see? It's a way to have 4 different dsp devices. If you
tell aRts to not use the default /dev/dsp one, all other applications
can use it since it's no longer being held.
	To change the default dsp device for aRts, go to
KDE Control Center -> Sound & Multimedia -> Sound System -> Sound I/O ->
-> Use custom sound device -> [enter something like /dev/dsp0.3]
	This should "fix" the aRts vs ogle sound conflict.
Let me know if you still have problems.

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
Computer Science Undergraduate | FreeBSD Committer | CS Developer