Date:      04 Jan 2003 05:45:19 +0100
From:      Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff@t-online.de>
To:        OpenOffice "Porting Team @ " "FreeBSD.orgmailto:" <openoffice@freebsd.org>
Subject:   OOo and java on FreeBSD

Hi!

I'm using OpenOffice.org and have found some really annoying behaviour:

I cannot get java running. The linux-sun-jdk1.3.1 is not accepted by
jvmsetup. If you got this working, please tell me how to do. ;-)
For now i can't use any jdbc databases.

Here's a little report:

On: OOo1.0.1_4 on FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE with native JDK1.3.1

As the readme file of the port says, the native JDK1.3.1 does not work.
Since i need this stuff running i tried to have a closer look at it and
found that OOo requires java using 'native threads' which are not there
on FreeBSD with this name.

By changing the variable THREADS_TYPE in the startup skript 'soffice'
from 'native_threads' to 'green_threads' the jvm was found by 'jvmsetup'
and started running until it says on the console window:

zaphod$ OOo1.0.1/soffice
Cannot open "/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/i386/native_threads/libhpi.so"
Cannot open "/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/i386/native_threads/libhpi.so"

This seems to be hardcoded ore stuck in an .rdb anywhere.

One question left: should i file an Issue(Zilla) with this description?

HTH,
Marc