Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:27:49 +0000
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.org>
To:        www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Website errors

--1LKvkjL3sHcu1TtY

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 12:01:46PM -0600, Sarah Berry wrote:
> Howdy! My name is Sarah Berry, and I work for Computing & Information
> Services at A&M. Part of my job involves maintaining our websites. In
> looking through our server logs, I noticed the following errors
> generated when someone tried to follow a link from your site to ours,
> for the period of December 1-7, 2003:
>=20
> Target site (broken link):
> /news/gigabytes/index.html
>=20
> The broken link(s) are on this page:
> http://www.pl.freebsd.org/news/press.html=20

All,

This link is in the June 1999 entry, for jkh on the GigABytes Radio
show.  As stated at
http://itim.tamu.edu/htmlfs/changes/gigabyte092002.shtml, the content
for this is now long deleted from the web server.

This raises the question: what we do with broken links here?
They're clearly no use pointing to non-existent pages, but is an entry
in here worth having if there's nothing to link to?  I'm tempted to say
"yes", and just remove the links on dead stories that can't be found.

Comments?

Ceri

--=20

--1LKvkjL3sHcu1TtY