Date:      Mon, 05 Jan 2004 08:41:26 -0600
From:      Jim Ramsay <i.am@jimramsay.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compiling Jack

I'm trying to get Jack (http://jackit.sourceforge.net/) to compile on my
4.8 system...  Has anyone had any luck with this yet?

I was actually able to get it to start after patching configure.in to
make it look for getopt_long in -lgnugetopt and passing ./configure
LDLIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib/pth"

But the build fails... so far the first problem I've seen is that it
expects to #include <stdint.h> but there is no such file.  Is there some
sort of equivalent in FreeBSD?

Has anyone actually ported JACK yet?  I know ALSA isn't available in
FreeBSD, but the portaudio driver *should* work, theoretically.

I really want to get this going because I haven't been able to find a
good multi-track audio recorder for FreeBSD, and ardour
(http://ardour.sourceforge.net/) looks like a "good" one except that it
requires JACK.

I've tried using ecasound (but it's ugly), audacity (it has trouble
doing more than two tracks, or three on a good day), and I'm not sure
what else is available that may even work.

There are more and more good looking linux apps which use Jack that I
just can't use without me (or someone else) porting Jack for FreeBSD.  I
haven't done much porting myself, but if no one else will do it, I'll
try (slowly) to get it running.

--
Jim Ramsay