Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 01:01:42 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Plans for 6-CURRENT and 5-STABLE

--nextPart2255424.PjvYpdfZ49

All,

[Attention: Long mail - lot of babbling]

now that RELENG_5_3 has been cut and FreeBSD 5.3 - the first release to shi=
p=20
with PF - is about to leave the door. It's time to talk about the future=20
direction on PF development within FreeBSD. I'd like to share some of the=20
plans I have in mind and the anticipated schedule for them.

One of the more serious problems we have to address is how (and if) we stay=
 in=20
sync with OpenBSD. As far as I understand it is suggested not to change any=
=20
kernel <-> userland API/ABI during a -STABLE cycle. This effectively means=
=20
that we can *not* track OpenBSD releases in -STABLE since they tend to chan=
ge=20
API/ABI a lot. I think, however, that PF as of OpenBSD 3.5 (the one we have=
=20
now as part of 5-STABLE) is already very mature and will serve well for the=
=20
coming <2 years until we will move on to 6-STABLE.

There are some FreeBSD specific things that need improvement and clean up.=
=20
This is the first task that I will work on in 6-CURRENT starting from now.=
=20

Most prominently this includes the interface handling. There are some open=
=20
problems to be addressed, such as the inability to recognize renamed=20
interfaces as well as problems around 6to4. The hotfix for the interface=20
renaming that I posted here a while ago (and was not tested :-( ) causes so=
me=20
problems with unloading the module and hence has not been committed. There =
is=20
some more fundamental cleaning to be done in that part of the code.

Together with the cleaning I will address the way we handle the PF modules =
at=20
the moment. It should be possible to load pflog/pfsync as individual module=
s.=20
It is yet unclear if that is possible without impacts on the performance so=
=20
we will consider this very carefully.

Another big thing on the plate now, is a shared/exclusive lock semantic for=
=20
the ruleset evaluation. This will not only speed things up by quite a bit,=
=20
but will also resolve the requirement to run with mpsafenet=3D0 if one want=
s to=20
use user/group based filter rules. Preliminary patches have been on the lis=
t=20
some time ago, but there are serious shortcomings and we will have to take=
=20
this back to the blueprint planning to make it as good as we want it to be.

All these projects will be merged into 5-STABLE once they have proven in HE=
AD.

Other than that, we will resume tracking OpenBSD releases once (some of) th=
e=20
above tasks have been completed. If we catch up on OpenBSD 3.6 in HEAD it=20
will only complicate the testing of these changes. At the same time we will=
=20
start to work on some FreeBSD specific features, but this has a low(er)=20
priority for the moment. It seems that pf development has reached a point o=
f=20
maturity and will not gain too much new features in the next releases of=20
OpenBSD. There are some interesting cleanups and improvements of existing=20
infrastructure, but the main capabilities seem to have settled.

Thanks for reading so far, please let me know your thoughts, concerns and=20
questions.

=2D-=20