Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 2004 00:51:06 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@linux.gr>
To:        Vlad GALU <vladgalu@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default permissions of /home/user..

On 2004-10-24 00:13, Vlad GALU <vladgalu@gmail.com> wrote:
>      One thing though. The mtree file that controls the permissions
> for / specifies 0755 as the mask for /root. It's allright with me, I
> have "chmod /root 0600" in my .profile, but still ...

No problem :)

	mkdir /root/private
	chmod 0600 /root/private

Seriously now, if you don't use the root account for doing "real work",
it shouldn't be a problem that its HOME directory is world-readable.

I only keep very few files in my /root tree.  Most of them are dot-files
for programs I might want to run as root (i.e. .bashrc, .vimrc and not
much else).  Sensitive data is never stored in /root and *REALLY*
sensitive data (like passwords) are never stored in a computer at all.

So, why would one need to be paranoid about the permissions or /root?