Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:55:50 -0700
From:      Jeremy Gale <jgale.work@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network Interfaces and PRI questions

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to ISDN and i4b but I'm supposed to be writing a NetBSD
driver for a custom hardware ISDN-based card. I'm trying to evaluate
if I can use the i4b framework.

Our card needs to be able to support multiple trunks - both multiple
BRIs and PRIs.  We are planning to use a Cologne chip for BRIs and a
IDT chip for PRIs.

One thing I'm still not clear on... what does a network interface
(i4bipr/i4bisppp or irip/ippp in NetBSD-ese) represent? Does it
represent an ISDN call? If you want a call on each B-channel of an
ISDN BRI, does that mean you should have two devices, e.g. i4bipr0 and
i4bipr1? This is an important consideration for me because it could
mean literally hundreds of interfaces. Or does it represent more of a
physical ISDN connection between two endpoints?

How is the PRI support in i4b? It looks like the PRI support is #if
0'd out in NetBSD but functional in FreeBSD in the iavc driver.

Any thoughts on the feasibility of doing this? Is there anywhere else
I can read more high-level information on ISDN network interfaces?
I've read The Care and Feeding of ISDN4BSD but any other resources
would be appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance!

Jeremy