Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2005 17:39:19 -0700
From:      Matt Rechkemmer <tiberius@trancell.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 88, Issue 68

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 12:01:08PM +0000, freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org wrote:

> Lately my FreeBSD 5.3R system has been running fine.  Tonight I decided to
> load the mysql 4.1.x port.  After loading it, glancing at mysql-server.sh, and
> firing it up, things went haywire.
>
> At the time I had two root sessions open, as well as two normal users.  My
> normal users started getting permission denied for everything, new users are
> unable to login receiving this via SSHd:
>
> No supported authentication methods left to try!
>
> Root cannot query any user information.  /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd
> look fine.  MySQL.d is NOT running, it never did startup, and now I am
> effectively locked out of the system if I logout.
>
> It's obviously authenticated since /var/log/auth.log reports:
> Feb 19 04:51:17 hybrid sshd[79901]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for
> theuser from 172.17.1.11 port 2101 ssh2
>
> Any help is GREATLY appreciated, Google has so far yieled nothing on this
> topic.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Matt Rechkemmer
> tiberius@trancell.org

A bit more detail:

Normal users can no longer login, they receive:
No supported authentication methods left to try!

I can still login with root and toor.  I've tried everything I know of, short
of rebooting it.  If you guys have any insight, it's greatly appreciated, as
I'm at a total loss.

With the normal user that is currently logged in (before this occured), here
are some examples of the odd behavior:

captkirk@hybrid:~$ /bin/ls
-bash: /bin/ls: Permission denied

root@hybrid:/etc/rc.d# /bin/ls -al /bin/ls
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  22784 Nov  4 19:24 /bin/ls

root@hybrid:/etc/rc.d# finger captkirk; grep captkirk /etc/master.passwd
finger: captkirk: no such user
captkirk:<password hash>:1005:1005:default:0:0:Matt
Rechkemmer:/home/captkirk:/bin/tcsh

When users get the "No supported authentication methods" error, I do see valid
authentications in /var/log/auth.log.  So this behavior makes no sense, to me
anyways.

Any ideas?