Date:      Sun, 4 Dec 2005 10:23:15 +0300
From:      Yar Tikhiy <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding /usr/local/etc/rc.d to the base rcorder

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 08:35:39AM -0800, Brooks Davis wrote:

> > > Right, this can be revisited later if needed. The more I thought about this
> > > the more I liked the concept of what JR suggested, although obviously I
> > > implemented it in a slightly different manner. I'm hesitant to add more
> > > pseudo-targets, as I think using mountcritremote is a good "clear bright
> > > line" for this purpose. I also have a fantasy down the road (not sure how to
> > > implement it yet) of making the point to split early/late configurable. For
> > > example, I can imagine a scenario where someone might want to put the split
> > > at mountcritlocal. However, this is a good safe place to start.
> >
> > With a pseudo-target for filesystems, will we still need the split
> > hardcoded in /etc/rc?  Using a single run of rcorder should be
> > sufficient if all our rc.d scripts specify correct interdependencies
> > between each other.  Using the pseudo-target would be a natural way
> > of doing so while keeping the possibility to move the split up and
> > down the boot sequence.
>
> You have to run rccorder twice because until mountcritremote (or an
> equivalent pseudo target) you aren't garenteed to have access to all the
> files rcorder needs to parse.

Now I see.  I obviously missed this point.  Thanks for clarifying it.

However, are there plans to allow for ports inserting theirselves
in the early stage?  E.g., a 3rd-party routing daemon can be needed
to fully start the network prior to doing mountcritremote.  And if
the routing daemon were built against older libraries in addition,
it would need the compat libraries in /usr/local/lib/compat added
to the ldconfig search path in advance.  This is the case I myself
ran into once.  Making the split between the stages movable to
mountcritlocal, as you proposed, would be a solution.  This can be
generalized to an rc.conf variable indicating the name of the rc.d
script to put the split after.

--
Yar