Date:      Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:10:02 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is considered "the best supported" RAID controller for 5.x?

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:

> Hello!
>
>> The subject says it all ... I'm looking a new server, and right now have
>> built it around the SRCZCRX PCI-X 128MB, since I've had good luck with the
>> Intel RAID controllers with 4.x, and I *really* like the storcon CLI
>> utility ... but, with the move to 5.x, I'm wondering if there is something
>> else I should be looking at, or is this still a good card to go with?
>
> IMHO it's the entire product line of ICP Vortex, now owned
> by Adaptec. These cards really rock. Battery backed up cache,
> RAID 1+0, driver maintained my company's engineers, yet in
> the stock FreeBSD kernel, curses based management utility
> to repair arrays without reboot, unattended rebuild if
> you exchange a broken disk with a brand new one, same
> interface to the host for _all_ products including SATA, ...

'k, its the above that I've grown to love with the Intel cards ... do you
have a URL for these?  Checking Adaptec's site, they don't seem to
explicitly list the ICP Vortex stuff ...

Also, is there a particular card that I should avoid, in their line up, or
are they all good?

I'm looking to put this into an Intel SR1400 Server Platform ... the
motherboard has onboard U320 SCSI, so I was figuring to go the 0 Channel
route ... and the SR1400 is 3x drive bays, so would be going RAID5 for
this ...

thanks ...

----