Date:      Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:46:45 -0500
From:      Andrew Lankford <lankfordandrew@charter.net>
To:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   xdm writes to /var/run/utmp

Does anyone know why xdm writes to /var/run/utmp on its own without even
using sessreg in it Xstartup or similar configuration files (contrary to
what the man page says)?  Perhaps some people think that having this
sort of line in the output of who utility as being useful:

  andrew         :0       Nov 12 20:15

I don't, because it confuses other utilties like wall:

wall: /dev/:0: No such file or directory

...and both sessreg and the +ut option for *term work just great (if you
want them).  So why do it, and how can you disable it short of
commenting out the offending source code every time I want to upgrade?

Andrew Lankford