Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:00:33 +1000
From:      "Tim Dettloff" <acpi.dettloff@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Powerd makes computer hang

Hi

I have installed FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE on my Compaq Presario 2656AU
laptop, but it occasionally hangs. I traced the problem to powerd so I
made a script that kept changing the clock rate by setting the sysctl
dev.cpu.0.freq. This script normally makes the computer hang within 10
seconds or so.

I then added a few printf's here and there which have let me to
believe that the problem is somewhere in
sys/dev/acpica/acpi_throttle.c, acpi_thr_set
It only prints the first letter of a printf just after the line
THR_SET_REG(sc->cpu_p_cnt, p_cnt);

The problem happens with and without cpufreq.ko loaded. The kernel is GENERIC.

Any Ideas?

Cheers,
Tim