Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:50:48 +0200
From:      Peer Schaefer <peer.schaefer@hamburg.de>
To:        www@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        trademark@freebsdfoundation.org, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   CDROM-Artwork

Hi,

I have designed some CDROM-related artwork for FreeBSD (CDROM-labels,
sleeves and DVD-cases). The first drafts were posted to the
FreeBSD-advocacy-mailing-list on Sept 1st, and since then I have
received some kind feedback that lead to some changes (see mailing-list
archive). In particular I would like to thank (in totally random order)
Matt Olander, Simon Nielsen, Don Witt, Dru Lavigne, Ceri Davies, Gábor
Kövesdán, Remko Lodder, Dag-Erling Smřrgrav and Eric Anderson for their
kind feedback. All design-flaws and errors remain my own.

The resulting "final" versions of the artwork are here:

Some PNG thumbnails (30 dpi), 800KB:
http://www.wolldingwacht.de/foss/freebsd/k8HV54dR1/freebsd-6.1_cdrom-artwork_30dpi-png.tar.bz2

Some larger PNG thumbnails (75 dpi), 2.9MB:
http://www.wolldingwacht.de/foss/freebsd/k8HV54dR1/freebsd-6.1_cdrom-artwork_75dpi-png.tar.bz2

Full quality PNG images (300 dpi), 15MB:
http://www.wolldingwacht.de/foss/freebsd/k8HV54dR1/freebsd-6.1_cdrom-artwork_300dpi-png.tar.bz2

Full quality JPEG images (300 dpi), 11MB:
http://www.wolldingwacht.de/foss/freebsd/k8HV54dR1/freebsd-6.1_cdrom-artwork_300dpi-jpeg.tar.bz2

PDF versions for easy printout, 9.2MB:
http://www.wolldingwacht.de/foss/freebsd/k8HV54dR1/freebsd-6.1_cdrom-artwork_pdf.tar.bz2

SVG and ODT sources for future modifications, 13.5MB:
http://www.wolldingwacht.de/foss/freebsd/k8HV54dR1/freebsd-6.1_cdrom-artwork_source.tar.gz

I would be pleased if these material could be placed at the website
(e.g. http://www.freebsd.org/art.html). I would suggest to place a link
to the artwork page in the downloads section, so that everyone who
downloads an ISO-image can easily obtain the label and sleeve.

If you find this artwork useful, I will also create "6.2" versions for
the upcoming release.

LEGAL:
The logo and the logo-font are by Anton Gural.
The colour palette is taken from Anton Gurals design-studies (but
slightly modified).
The text is taken from the FreeBSD-website.
The remaining artwork is by me. I hereby donate my part of the artwork
to the FreeBSD project, so you may use and distribute it under any
license you may choose, e.g. under the BSD-license (you may even place
it in the Public Domain). Unless the FreeBSD project chooses some other
license, the FreeBSD license
(http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html) applies. It
would be nice if you give me some credit, but that's not legaly required.

If you have any questions, comments or requests, please drop me a line.

Best regards,
Peer Schaefer