Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:42:15 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        Mark Mumby <mmumby@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pairing problem with Motorola E398

Mark,

> I have a problem that i hope you can help with.
>
> I am trying to pair my E398 with my FreeBSD 5.4 box. Basicly nothing
> happens.
> I have only recently added bluetooth to my setup and i am new to it.
>
> I am able to pair my iPAQ 2110 and my PC to the FreeBSD box.
>
> I have been through the configs many times and believe the are correct -
>
> When i start Bluetooth i get -
> firewall# /etc/rc.bluetooth start ubt0

[...]

looks good.

> When i put the phone into "Find Me" (only allows 60 sec) mode i get -
> firewall# hccontrol -n ubt0hci inquiry
> Inquiry result, num_responses=1
> Inquiry result #0
> 	BD_ADDR: MarkCell
> 	Page Scan Rep. Mode: 0x1
> 	Page Scan Period Mode: 00
> 	Page Scan Mode: 00
> 	Class: 52:22:04
> 	Clock offset: 0x232
> Inquiry complete. Status: No error [00]

looks good

> Then do a name query -
> firewall# hccontrol -n ubt0hci remote_name_request markcell 0 0 0
> BD_ADDR: MarkCell
> Name: MarkCell

looks good

> Then do a spdcontrol -a markcell browse (this can be done at anytime oes not
> need to be in "Find Me" mode -
>
> firewall# /usr/sbin/spdcontrol -a markcell browse

[...]

looks good.

> I have addeded MarkCell to the host file -
> 00:0a:28:32:0e:25       MarkCell
>
> Here is the hcsecd.conf entry -
> device {
>         bdaddr   00:0a:28:32:0e:25;
>         name     "MarkCell";
>         key      nokey;
>         pin      "0000";
> }

looks fine

> But when i run hcsecd -d and put the phone into "Find Me" mode nothing seems
> to happen.

hcsecd(8) will NOT actively connect to your phone. all hcsecd(8) does is
answers hci pin code/link key request events.

one of the devices (either phone or pc) has to request authentication.
many devices (such as phones) only ask for authentication when remote
device is trying to use service.

first, make sure that hcsecd(8) is running

then do

# hccontrol -n ubt0hci write_authentication_enable 1

now try to do

% sdpcontrol -a MarkCell browse

you should get request for pin code in hcsecd(8). after the link key was
  generated it will be stored in /var/db/hcsecd.keys file. next time the
phone will request authentication this key will be used. note that you
MUST run hcsecd(8) at all times.

now you can turn authentication off

# hccontrol -n ubt0hci write_authentication_enable 0

thanks,
max