Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2006 11:52:13 +0100 (BST)
From:      Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
To:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   SDP

Hi,
   in part of my work in Bluetooth for NetBSD* I just took the SDP
implementation from FreeBSD direct to get a leg up and didnt look at it
very much at first though I did make some changes, which basically
comprised:

1. whitespace
	space-tab, whitespace at EOL, and empty line at EOF

2. lint errors and compiler warnings
	mostly warnings about casting and const which may not be errors in
	reality. I managed to remove all these though and now compile at
	WARNS=4 (for GCC3)

3. NetBSD does not have LOCAL_PEERCRED socket options, so I converted
	sdpd to use LOCAL_CREDS

4. I added something for Headset/Headset Audio Gateway profile.

so what I have is still compatible at source level with FreeBSD. However,
in adding the headset support I took a better look and I'm not sure I like
the API exactly. I havent especially looked at the competing
implementations, took a glance at the BlueZ one but they dont seem strong
on documentation (and I didnt see any) and I'm hesitant to change the API
as what we really dont need is yet another incompatible implementation.

Some things I am uneasy with then:

1. sdp_open[_local]() may return a handle even though there is an error.
Really, this is terrible! If there is an error in open, it should just
return NULL and set errno accordingly. sdp_error() should not be
necessary..

2. to register a profile with the sdp daemon, the daemon itself must
already know about the profile, even though its just a string of binary.
It would be nice if a client program could just prepare this array and
send it.

3. parsing results of an sdp query is annoyingly ugly, it would be nice if
there was some lib function that could be used to extract values from the
result in a generic way.

So well, I'm not so sure if anybody else besides Max has done any work in
this arena, but any input is good..

iain
*latest archive is http://homepages.rya-online.net/plunky/netbt.32.tar.gz