Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:14:28 +0300
From:      Andy Fawcett <andy@athame.co.uk>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: GNOME 2.14 being merged into the tree

On Sunday 30 April 2006 01:21, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> At this late stage of the 5.5/6.1 release cycle, it was deemed that
> none of the packages were going to be rebuilt, so we have been given
> permission to merge GNOME 2.14 into the ports tree at this time.
>
> The first step will be a merge of GStreamer 0.10.  When that is
> complete, the tree will be locked for the GNOME 2.14 merge.  The good
> news is that this latest update no longer comes with the shared
> library change for GLib, GTK+, or any other low-level GNOME
> component, so upgrading will be much easier.

Hi,

Some problems:

1. "portupgrade -a" updates gstreamer to 0.10, but not all the plugins
seem to have 0.10 versions (gstreamer-plugins-artsd for one). Did this
deserve a note in UPDATING?

2. gstreamer-plugins-artsd80 has faulty patches, and fails.

3. howl has been deprecated to avahi, which conflicts with both howl and
mDNSresponder. This means portupgrade -a now fails for me because I
have mDNSresponder installed (for KDE I think) and also howl from an
earlier gnome. Seems that howl and mDNSresponder never had CONFLICTS
set, if I'm reading the Makefiles correctly. This CONFLICTS on
mDNSresponder now causes upgrade to fail. Is avahi compatible with
mDNSresponder, and if so does this mean we need yet another switch same
as we had for gamin/fam earlier?

Cheers,

Andy

--