Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:14:33 +0200
From:      "Matt Sealey" <matt@genesi-usa.com>
To:        "'Marcel Moolenaar'" <marcel@xcllnt.net>, <ppc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Definition of _ALIGNBYTES

Does FreeBSD support AltiVec usage in the kernel?

If so _ALIGNBYTES may as well be 15, otherwise you would spend all your
life realigning vector data if you ever wanted to use it :)

Actually in all seriousness, 3 is right. If you longword align all your
data, any misalignment is handled in hardware (fairly fast too). If you
are trying to get some serious performance out of things you would
probably want to 8-byte align your floating point values, and 16-byte
align your vector values, and you can do this manually at the time
you need it. Otherwise, aligning everything to a 4-byte boundary is
just fine and dandy.

--
Matt Sealey <matt@genesi-usa.com>
Manager, Genesi, Developer Relations