Date:      Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:42:48 +0000
From:      Vaida Bogdan <vaida.bogdan@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   setting up vpn client on a freebsd workstation

I have the following network:

External Interface         External Interface
ccc.ccc.ccc.ccc             aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa
      |                                               |
--> VPN <--> Internet <--> FreeBSD Client (NATed extip: bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb)

FW-1 Protected Net
ddd.ddd.ddd.ddd/24

VPN: ipsec freeswan (UDP encapsulated tunnel)
ccc.ccc.ccc.ccc has port 136/UDP open for this
I also have the following certs: cert.pem, key.pem crl.pem and CA.pem
I am behind internal ips allocated by dhcp.

I need to connect to an ip in the Protected Net area.

It's my first VPN connection and I'm having problems with it. I tried
following the handbook but it gets into racoon configs and I'm seeking
a simpler implementation. I also found papers regarding pptp and
pipsec. The problem is I don't know which one to use.

Could anyone point me to a paper and the differences in the configs
for my scenario?