Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2006 11:42:47 -0700
From:      freebsd@bitfreak.org
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   sshd "bad protocol version identification" messages

I'm seeing lines like the following in my security logs:

Oct 14 06:56:32 srv sshd[41370]: Bad protocol version identification
'\200b\001\003\001' from 24.203.221.239

 From what I've read, this is a buffer overflow attack on the sshd
whereby the attacker triggers the overflow before the identification
string is sent then attempts commands to see if elevated priveleges were
obtained.  The log message is produced by sshd trying to interpret the
commands as the identification string.  Is this related to SA-06:22 or
SA-06:23, or is this another bug?