Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:10:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@p6m7g8.com>
To:        Anton Berezin <tobez@freebsd.org>
Cc:        clement@freebsd.org, freebsd-apache@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.apache.mk strangeness

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Anton Berezin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like you to pay a little bit of attention to the following thread:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?id=474B2313.2090409%40verysmall.org&db=mid
>
> It looks like if a user puts "USE_APACHE" into /etc/make.conf, then during
> portupgrade of perl, everything bombs out because bsd.apache.mk tries to
> invoke apxs (which is present) while perl is not installed.  Since apxs is a
> perl script, the results are not pretty.
Definetely wrong, its APACHE_PORT=www/apacheXX
I'm guessing you are looking for something similiar to:

.ifdef USE_MYSQL
.error You have `USE_MYSQL' variable defined either in environment or in
make(1)
  arguments. Please undefine and try again.
.endif

> Maybe try and execute perl first, and bail out with something meaningful
> ("you either have USE_APACHE in /etc/make.conf or your environment or you
> are trying to build an apache-related port without perl installed")?
It might be more complicated than that since we ship with an executable
that merely prints out a message to go install perl.

We'd actually have to parse the output
Philip M. Gollucci (philip@ridecharge.com)
o:703.549.2050x206
Senior System Admin - Riderway, Inc.
http://riderway.com / http://ridecharge.com
1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.