Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:43:15 +0200
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jeremie@le-hen.org
Subject:   What new hardware?

Hi,

Please Cc: me when replygin.

I want to buy a new CPU and a new motherboard, but I really don't know
what to buy.  Thus I'm poking here to gather some advice.

My needs are:
- this will be funded by me only, so it mustn't be too expensive (I
  can't afford a Xeon processor for example), but of course I would like
  it to perform well!  I'm thinking of $600.
- this will be a router between two Gigabit network: I also need an
  advice for a performent GigE adapter;
- this will also be my Internet router, so a third Ethernet interface
  will be needed (onboard would suffice I think);
- this will be a NFS server: I need at least two UDMA133 connectors and
  two S-ATA II connectors onboard;
- I own a PCI Promise PDC20319 with 4 SATA150 connectors currently that
  I'm willing to reuse, so the motherboard must have at least an old PCI
  slot as well;
- FreeBSD MUST be correctly supported :-).

Actually I don't even know if I should buy an Athlon 64 or Intel Core.
If you have good articles that thoroughly explains all I need to know,
please point it out!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
--