Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:27:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
Subject:   Re: Creating and copying jail images

Josh Paetzel wrote:
 > Problem: I need to create a jail image that I can deploy on multiple
 > servers, ala a generic apache jail or postgresql jail or whatever.  I
 > need to be able to simply explode this image in to a directory and
 > have it work, I'd also like to be able to compress the image because
 > it occasionally has to go over lower-speed WAN links.
 >
 > Here are the tools that I've investigated and the problems I've had
 > with them:
 >
 > tar, cpio, pax:  All 3 of these tools have problems with various
 > combinations of meta-data, links, and things like device nodes.

What exactly is the problem with tar (bsdtar)?  It handles
hard links, file flags (be sure to specify the -p option
when extracting) and everything else that's necessary.

By the way, you don't need device nodes anymore because of
DEVFS.  I think device nodes outside of DEVFS don't work
anymore anyway, so they're useless.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster."
        -- Niklaus Wirth