Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:15:20 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mails from jails

I want to restrict my jail sandboxes to sending mail only. Could
anyone give me some advice? This is for a web-/applicationserver that
needs to be able to send mail, but should never be running any mail
service on external network interfaces.

My preference is a minimalistic approach; I was thinking of creating
one specialized sandbox that only provides mail sending functionality
for the other sandboxes:
- make it listen for SMTP connections on the loopback device
   (e.g. 127.0.0.5), only allowing incoming connections from
   the other sandboxes (127.0.0.255);
- forward the mail to a 'real' SMTP server using mail/ssmtp,
   via a secure (SSL) connection, with authentication;

Does anyone have experience with such an approach? If so, what would
you use for the SMTP forwarding? Any advice?

Cheers,

Ernst