Date:      Sun, 06 May 2007 00:46:47 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Question about fields in INDEX files

Hello all,
	As part of my Google SoC project I'm taking a look at INDEX-{ver} and
revising it to fit Berkeley DB objects combined with pkg_*, much like
pkgdb does.

	I have a few questions about the meanings of the fields though and
their use. I'm using net/DarwinStreamingServer as an example, because
it's short, and contains all of the fields I could find present in all
of the INDEX entries, and this comes from INDEX-7, not INDEX-5 or INDEX-6.

=======
Entry:
=======
DarwinStreamingServer-5.5.4_1|/usr/ports/net/DarwinStreamingServer|/usr/local|Darwin
Streaming Server, a MP3, MPEG4 and QuickTime streaming
server|/usr/ports/net/DarwinStreamingServer/pkg-descr|nork@FreeBSD.org|net||p5-Net-SSLeay-1.30_1
perl-5.8.8|http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/streaming/|||

=======

The fields are as following (separated by pipes):
1. [Port name (without category)]-[version][{:_revision}]
2. Full path to port.
3. Installation prefix (?)
4. Comment
5. Full path to pkg-descr file
6. Maintainer
7. Category
8. [unknown] -- blank field
9. Direct dependencies
10. Developer's / Project's Webpage
11., 12. [unknown] (x2) -- blank fields

=======

If someone can correct me on the meanings of these fields, that would be
  fantastic. Also, if someone can help me discover the secret identities
of some of the unknown fields (in particular the last 2 blank fields),
that would be helpful as well. I understand that the majority of these
lines do come from the Makefiles, but I'm not sure what additional
fields could be involved in this.

Also, I was wondering if fields 3. and 5. are really necessary in the
INDEX file. 3. can be user specified, or default to a particular value.

Also, 5. can be automatically assumed to {2.}/pkg-descr in all cases
that I've seen. So, given this observation is there any real case that
this assumption would be false?

Thanks for any and all help!
-Garrett