Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2007 08:36:19 +0200
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        Dirk Engling <erdgeist@erdgeist.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.Org, Mike Makonnen <mtm@FreeBSD.Org>, jeremie@le-hen.org, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/116416: [patch] per-jail rc.conf(5) style configuration file in /etc/jail/

--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms

Dirk,

Thank you for your enlightened review.

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 12:27:03AM +0200, Dirk Engling wrote:

>  On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Mike Makonnen wrote:
>
> > I like this patch, especially the second revision. I think people who
> > run a very large number of jails will appreciate it. However, I'd like
> > to see a few changes made:
>
>  Hi, before you reinvent the wheel, I'd like you to take a look at my
>  ezjail[1] project. I've done much of the work more than two years ago and
>  would call the results stable and in wide use.
>
>  I'd be too happy to just use /etc/jail.d as config directory for jails, as I
>  do today with /usr/local/etc/ezjail. However, if you write config files the
>  right way, there is no need to throw awk on them, just source them.

Certainly we would all benefit from your experience with ezjail.  As for
files in /etc/jail.d, I personally prefer the way I did it.  IMO it is
repetitions that /etc/jail.d/myjail contains:
% jail_myjail_ip=...
% jail_myjail_hostname=...
% jail_myjail_rootdir=...

The awk script is not a great deal and just translates "ip=..." to
"jail_<jname>_ip=...":
% ip=...
% hostname=...
% rootdir=...

Both ways have benefits and I would like to read some FreeBSD
developper's opinion on this subject.  I will change my patch
accordingly, if needed.

>  Usign an rcorder style scheme on config files allows starting jails in a
>  predefined order.

It is undoubtly necessary to be able to define jail starting order even
in the "auto" case.  I've made that change.

>  Allowing some pre-start commands to mount root dirs or attach certain disc
>  based memory images would be helpful, too.

I completly agree.  I've already come up to this conclusion for some
time.  I will submit another PR, unless Mike asks me to achieve this in
the same patch.

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen