Date:      Sat, 06 Dec 2008 13:56:04 -0500
From:      Matt Benjamin <matt@linuxbox.com>
To:        freebsd-afs@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
Subject:   OpenAFS on FreeBSD Progress (Works)

Hi Jason (and the rest of this apparently small list),

I apologize for not piping up before, I didn't join freebsd-afs when I
was copied on an initial flurry of emails, but just did.

I have the following progress:

1. I finished initial work fixing open issues with the stalled FreeBSD
client cache manager in OpenAFs, and made it run on i386 FreeBSD 7.0 and
8-Current [as of around Sept. 15 or so].

2. The i386 FreeBSD 7.0 target is now an "officially supported platform"
in OpenAFS 1.4.8--though the client has only recently been finished, and
probably has undiscovered issues--the only issues I'm actually aware of
for certain are a cosmetic, and I use the port myself

3. This week I posted a patch to OpenAFS RT (our bug tracker) adding
x86_64 FreeBSD 7.0 support, with some help from Tony Jago.  I'm
expecting to see the x86_64 platform officially supported in the next
stable OpenAFS release

Just as extra information, I've also worked on the i386 OpenBSD port,
updating it for OpenBSD 4.4, and am most of the way through a new port
to NetBSD 4.0, based on the existing OpenBSD port (which was itself
based on an ancient NetBSD port, in fact).

I would appreciate any help and guidance getting OpenAFS more fully
usable in FreeBSD.

Matt

OpenAFS on FreeBSD Progress
Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net