Date:      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 23:37:12 +0300
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        Matt Benjamin <matt@linuxbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-afs@FreeBSD.org, "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>, Alec Kloss <alec@setfilepointer.com>, Tony Jago <tony@jago.net>
Subject:   Re: OpenAFS on FreeBSD Progress (Works)

Hello List,

Matt Benjamin <matt@linuxbox.com> writes:
> Hi Jason (and the rest of this apparently small list),
>
> I apologize for not piping up before, I didn't join freebsd-afs when I
> was copied on an initial flurry of emails, but just did.
>
> I have the following progress:

Good work, thank you and all involved very much!

> 1. I finished initial work fixing open issues with the stalled FreeBSD
> client cache manager in OpenAFs, and made it run on i386 FreeBSD 7.0 and
> 8-Current [as of around Sept. 15 or so].
>
> 2. The i386 FreeBSD 7.0 target is now an "officially supported platform"
> in OpenAFS 1.4.8--though the client has only recently been finished, and
> probably has undiscovered issues--the only issues I'm actually aware of
> for certain are a cosmetic, and I use the port myself
>
> 3. This week I posted a patch to OpenAFS RT (our bug tracker) adding
> x86_64 FreeBSD 7.0 support, with some help from Tony Jago.  I'm
> expecting to see the x86_64 platform officially supported in the next
> stable OpenAFS release

Well, I've just finish a FreeBSD port. It is based on port by Alec Kloss
(CCed0 which was sent to me by Tony Jago (CCed) by email. Actually I
wrote some comments about the port I've got but haven't received
a reply so far.

Let me introduce the port: ftp://ftp.ipt.ru/pub/tmp/openafs.shar
or one can browse it here: ftp://ftp.ipt.ru/pub/tmp/openafs .

The port was tested at tinderbox for 7.0-i386, 7-STABLE-i386,
8-CURRENT-i386, 7-STABLE-amd64, 8-CURRENT-amd64.

The port uses sources from 1.4.8 with integrated patches for amd64.
Actually, there are two extra patches. the first one is needed for
building at amd64. It should be committed along with those from
OpenAFS RT (ftp://ftp.ipt.ru/pub/tmp/openafs/files/patch-configure).
While the second one is a real hack to make openafs to compile at
8-CURRENT (ftp://ftp.ipt.ru/pub/tmp/openafs/files/patch-curseswindows.c).

I'd like to create two separate ports: openafs-server and
openafs-client. But I don't know right now how to do it.

Any comments are appreciated.

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)