Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 2008 16:30:58 GMT
From:      Georgi Iovchev <freebsd@pulsar.bg>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/128225: ftpd doesnt respect ftpd.conf

>Number:         128225
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       ftpd doesnt respect ftpd.conf
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>From the manpage of ftpd.conf: "The ftpd.conf file specifies various configuration options for ftpd(8) that apply once a user has authenticated their connection."

The bug is that ftpd doesn't respect /etc/ftpd.conf. No matter what I put in /etc/ftpd.conf ftpd behaves the same way.

I have tested it on 7.0-release-p5 i386, and recent 7.1-prerelease amd64. Two machines behave the same way.
>How-To-Repeat:
1.enable ftpd - in /etc/rc.conf put ftpd_enable="yes"
2.create and edit /etc/ftpd.conf
put some directives .. for example these (they should disable some commands for uploading and modifying content):
upload all off
upload REAL off

3.start (or restart) ftpd - /etc/rc.d/ftpd restart
4.connect to ftpd and try creating and deleteting directory
#:> ftp localhost
#:> ftp localhost
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
220 www.pulsar.bg FTP server (Version 6.00LS) ready.
Name (localhost:ed):
331 Password required for ed.
Password:
230 User ed logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> mkd testdirrr
257 "testdirrr" directory created.
ftp> rmd testdirrr
250 RMD command successful.

thats it ... user "ed" in my case is normal user. If ftpd respect /etc/ftpd.conf it should not be posible to create or delete directories through ftp. But it seems that it doesnt read it.