Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 2008 00:42:40 +0000
From:      John Birrell <jb@what-creek.com>
To:        fbsd-sparc64@bzerk.org
Cc:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DTrace on sparc64

Hi Ruben,

There are currently no patches to support running DTrace on FreeBSD/sparc64
because I only have access to a T2000 (that Sun sent to me) and a T1000 that
the FreeBSD Foundation contributed to the FreeBSD cluster.

Unfortunately, the sun4v is pretty much dead in the water. I've tried to figure
out where the bug is, but it requires a smart person who can read the code and
check if it complies with the T1 spec. It's hard to debug because I can't
trap the bug even using the hypervisor traps.

For sparc processors prior to the T1 which I assume you are asking about, I'd
need access to a machine to make any headway. Obviously the code exists in
OpenSolaris to support DTrace on sparc, so there is a reference to work to. The
implementation gets a bit complicated because we can't add any CDDL code to the
GENERIC kernel, so we need to implement hooks that are BSD licensed that allow
the CDDL code to register itself.

I'd really like to see other people working to develop this code. One person
working on such a major feature is a huge bottleneck. I know that pjd@ has
the same problem with ZFS. He'd love to have other people contributing too.

To be honest, although I respect Sun Microsystems' contribution to the free
software community, Sparc support isn't high on my agenda because I think
that a lot of people who want to use Sun hardware will use OpenSolaris. After
all, it's free too.

MIPS has recently sent me their reference board, the MALTA, and MIPS support
in FreeBSD is actively being developed, so my highest priority on the DTrace
front is to do the MIPS port.

--
John Birrell