Date:      Sun, 2 Aug 2009 13:45:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@casselton.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   FYI: elf_trampoline.c rev 194609 breaks PXA gcc 4.5/binutils 2.19

I have a copy of the GCC 4.5 compilers (ARM/i386) and binutils 2.19 (ARM only)
that have been ported to gnu/usr.bin/ (BSD makefiles). I have been using
the compiler for several weeks and the binutils is realitively new. The
source that I have been testing are my local mods to an old code base.
Thinking it is time to move the mods to the newest kernel code, last week
I tried the current head GUMSTIX kernel sources and found the compiled
kernel would no longer boot under the QEMU.

It took me a long time to isolate, I even build new versions of qemu, gcc 4.5,
and binutiils 2.19, but I finally isolated the problem to the file
sys/arm/arm/elf_trampoline.c revision 94609. I suspect, the lack MMU
enable in the __start routine.

This code still works with the built-in gcc 4.2.1/binutils 2.15, so this
is just a FYI.

--Mark Tinguely.