Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 2009 18:42:18 +0300
From:      ovi freebsd <lists@freebsdonline.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Oracle buys Sun

I know this is not about FreeBSD but it is about open source and it
matters, maybe many of you heard about last news:

 http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/20/128246       -
/"Oracle Corporation (NASDAQ: ORCL) and Sun Microsystems (NASDAQ: JAVA)
announced today they have entered into a definitive agreement under
which Oracle will acquire Sun
<http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/018363oracleharligekbtSun...>;
common stock for $9.50 per share in cash.

/Some interesting comments were posted like:
---------
Oracle President Safra Catz was also heard to remark...

"all your database are belong to us"
--------
or

Thankfully, I have recently switched myself (and my clients) over to
Postgresql.

It was a sad day when Oracle got the rights to the InnoDB engine, but at
least MySQL itself was in the hands of Sun.

With Oracle now owning all the rights to what is probably the biggest
free competitor, I think the open source world shouldn't put much stock
or investment into MySQL.

Is there any anti-trust factors to this? Oracle, being a dominant
database player, and buying up the biggest open source database?

Aside from that, I find this all very sad. Sun was one of the Unix
innvators from the earliest days. Even when they grow large, they still
seemed like a "cool company." Healey used to personally answer emails I
would send him. Oracle seems to be the antithesis of this; major,
corporate, gouging, monster... One can only hope that some of Sun's
culture and products will survive.
--------

Thinking of all good open source software they got like, besides mysql:
openoffice, netbeans, java ......... is indeed sad that IBM did not
aquired SUN.