Date:      Sat, 18 Jul 2009 20:47:00 -0400
From:      Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Driver for 3ware 9690SA, FreeBSD 8

Hello all,

This is the first time I'm setting up hardware raid under FreeBSD. The
card is 3ware 9690SA (twa driver) and I'm running FreeBSD 8.0-BETA2.

I'm a bit confused about the driver situation. The twa driver that
comes with FreeBSD is at version 3.70.05.001 (listed during boot). I
cannot find this version anywhere on the 3ware site. There is,
however, a reference to 3.70.05.003 [1], which is from 9.5.1 code set
for FreeBSD 7.x. Is there some disconnect between what 3ware releases
for FreeBSD and what actually makes it into the source tree? If so, is
it a better idea to use the driver that comes with FreeBSD 8 or
download the latest source from 3ware and compile that myself (note
that FreeBSD 8.x is not listed anywhere, so my guess is to use the 7.x
version)?

The reason I ask is because I'd like to update the firmware on the
controller, but I have no idea what is the latest version that the
current driver supports. For that matter, I don't know if the firmware
that came with the card is supported, though it appears to be working
for now. Basically, I'm just looking for advice on how to deal with
drivers that are primarily maintained outside of the FreeBSD source
tree.

If anyone else is using the same controller, I'd also appreciate any
advice on setting up the CLI (my guess is that I should use the
sysutils/tw_cli port) and e-mail notifications for things like the
loss of a drive.

- Max

[1] http://www.3ware.com/kb/article.aspx?id=14847