Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:33:51 +0100
From:      Saad Kadhi <saad@hush.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ruby <freebsd-ruby@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ruby 1.8.6 patchlevel 287 dumps core on 7.0-RELEASE-p7

Hi,

I am using Ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) on FreeBSD 7.0-
RELEASE-p7. I have some code that -among other things- parses XML
files and when it does in at least one case, it dumps core with the
following error msg:

-x-x-x-
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/rexml/parent.rb:19: [BUG] object allocation
during garbage collection phase
ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11) [i386-freebsd7]
-x-x-x-

At times, I get a different error msg:
-x-x-x-
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/rexml/namespace.rb:16: [BUG] object allocation
during garbage collection phase
ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11) [i386-freebsd7]
-x-x-x-

I initially developed my code using Ruby 1.8.6 patchlevel 111 on the
same platform and everything worked as expected. And when I upgraded
to the latest stable version from ports, I started having these
issues. Staying with 1.8.6 patchlevel 111 is not an option since this
version is riddled with security vulnerabilities.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

TIA.

--
Saad Kadhi
"It might look like I'm standing motionless, but I'm actively waiting