Date:      Sun, 08 Feb 2009 12:43:16 +0100
From:      Ragnar Lonn <ragnar@gatorhole.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More open sockets with vimages?

Julian Elischer wrote:
> sockets are a global resource that are assigned to vimages.
> However the amount of sockets available are tunable.
> how many are we talking about here?

100,000+ sockets. It seems to me like there is a need to be able to
handle *many* open network connections as servers get more and more CPU
cores, memory, and higher-speed network interfaces, but most people
claim that it is very hard to get 100k open sockets working nicely on a
single machine, even on a modern OS (though I've found a couple of
people that say they can, also, on Linux systems). Ok if 65k sockets is
the normal limit per process and per IP address, but for the whole OS,
it just seems strange to limit things to 65k (or less).

  /Ragnar