Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 2010 13:02:18 -0400
From:      Gordon Freeman <gfreedman1776@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   suppressing a specific kind of kernel log entry (device disconnect / connect notifications)?

Good afternoon,
I'm extremely happy with my FreeBSD server! One question for the group:
I'm using a USB KVM, and each time I switch between boxes, I get kernel
messages like:

Jun 13 12:48:27 host.local kernel: ums0: <Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse,
class 0/0, rev 2.00/22.00, addr 6> on uhub1
Jun 13 12:48:27 host.local kernel: ums0: 8 buttons and Z dir.
Jun 13 12:49:09 host.local kernel: ums0: at uhub1 port 4 (addr 6)
disconnected
Jun 13 12:49:09 host.local kernel: ums0: detached

This is fine, except I sometimes do this 100 times a day, and these messages
are also emailed to me in the security logs and in the jail's security
output!

I noticed there's a way in /etc/syslog.conf to change where all the kernel
logs go; am wondering whether you know of a way to suppress just this kind
of log.  I looked at devd.conf, and it looks like you can match with regexp
and send custom notifications, but I couldn't figure out how to turn off
just that kind of entry.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Gordon