Date:      Mon, 10 May 2010 12:46:21 +0300
From:      Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openjdk6 crashes

=D3=F4=E9=F2 Saturday 08 May 2010 00:21:02 =EF/=E7 Peter Palmreuther =DD=E3=
=F1=E1=F8=E5:

>=20
> *erm* Maybe. For fixed conditions (which are seldom in my experience). Mo=
st
> times I've seen systems crashing here and there with no fixed script or
> program if hardware dies. Simply because it's not deterministic what
> temperature the system will have and what program will be at which memory
> address. The only fixed crashing point can be the hard disk, which I thin=
k I
> can exclude due to the recompilation and therefore "relocation" on disk (=
i.e.
> different inodes being used).

it has happened to me with my home FreeBSD box, crashing every morning at 0=
3:00,
after a system upgrade (i think it was from 6.2->7.1).
The easy answer was to accuse the software (upgrade), however what was most=
 probably happening
was that the system upgrade made a previously hidden hardware problem to ap=
pear.
The system did not came back to stability, untill i replaced the motherboar=
d.
(after having tried changing the usual suspect RAM)

The program causing the panic was periodic daily.
=46or some reason, the same script on the same hardware with the previous 6=
=2E2 kernel was working ok.

>=20
> And to come to an end: if I see a program written in C++ (like OpenJDK/JV=
M)
> constantly fails on an assertion (like in my case: 'Error: assert(sp() >=
=3D
> inputs,"must have enough JVMS stack to execute")') I expect the assertion=
> not match first and think about corrupt memory a few hundred positions la=
ter
> on the "check list". That's at least what assertions are for: make the pr=
ogram
> fail if something is recognizable wrong. If every "assert fail" would be a
> memory defect unless 100% proven not to be that would render assertions
> useless, wouldn't it?
>=20
> But thanks for your help and input; Maybe somebody else has any idea abou=
t why
> "sp()" is less than "input" when compiling (hotspot compiling?) this spec=
ial
> class in OpenJDK?!?

Anyway
Have your tried=20