Date:      Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:05:19 +0300
From:      Kaya Saman <SamanKaya@netscape.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting audio input source for Darkice using mixer: can't set vol??

Hi,

am trying to set pcm or vol as the input source for my mixer in order to
be used in conjunction with Darkice.

For Darkice I have already set input as /dev/dsp which should be ok as
/dev/dsp0.0 comes up when using ls /dev..... however, I had this config
working on another box so from what I can tell the 0.0 just gives the
amount of simultaneous channels if I'm not mistaken.

The major difficulty however is coming from the fact that I can't set
the rec input to be pcm or vol :-(

pciconf -lv shows this:

hdac0@pci0:0:27:0:    class=0x040300 card=0x50038086 chip=0x3a3e8086
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
     device     = 'HD Audio Controller'
     class      = multimedia
     subclass   = HDA

and as both Andrew Thompson and Frank Shute helped me last time getting:

snd_hda_load="YES"

into /boot/loader.conf audio works without any problem too as have
tested playback!!

If I try to set:

# mixer =rec vol
mixer: unknown recording device: vol
usage: mixer [-f device] [-s | -S] [dev [+|-][voll[:[+|-]volr]] ...
        mixer [-f device] [-s | -S] recsrc ...
        mixer [-f device] [-s | -S] {^|+|-|=}rec rdev ...
  devices: vol, pcm, speaker, mic, mix, rec
  rec devices: mic, mix

I just get that the rec interfaces are mic or mix?? This is not the same
as my other box using a different and much older integral sound chip.

I also attempted to comment the snd_hda_load out of /boot/loader.conf
and include this instead:

snd_driver_load="YES"

which basically did the same thing as the above with (so also a small
question here about which line is better?) so yeah am stuck with both
kernel module loaders providing the same output :-(

Is there a way other then feeding a cable from the output into the input
to rectify this issue??

Thanks,

Kaya