Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2011 04:34:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.us>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why aren't you using FreeBSD?

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011, Alex Moura wrote:
> Why aren't you using FreeBSD?
> http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-center/why-arent-you-using-freebsd-178119?page=0,1

Because being able to upgrade the system "hot" using a package manager
makes my life easy. Having a userland tied to a kernel means if I update
one ahead of the other, I can impact the user's operations. Ditto for
graceful upgrades of libc. My customers don't want the service down for
anything without a month's notice and three meetings. Why reboot the box
unless there's a kernel vulnerability, not a library or userland vuln?

I love FreeBSD, but at the end of the day, being able to "yum install
beer" or "apt-get install yuengling" gives me more time for beer and
less time awake in the middle of the night.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Analyst