Date:      Sat, 8 Oct 2011 21:49:28 -0400
From:      Hub- FreeBSD <freebsd@hub.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bernhard_Fr=F6hlich?= <decke@bluelife.at>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "CPU doesn't support long mode" error message

On 2011-10-08, at 2:43 AM, Bernhard Fr=F6hlich wrote:

> On Sa.,   8. Okt. 2011 01:51:27 CEST, Hub- FreeBSD <freebsd@hub.org> =
wrote:
>=20
>>=20
>> On 2011-10-04, at 7:28 AM, Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> You need to create a 64bit capable VM which you haven't.
>>>=20
>>> http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#intro-64bitguests
>>=20
>> Being one of those that is going through this headache right now =
(have
>> something to check in BIOS, but its a remote server, so haven't been
>> able to yet), the above pointer / url is very much   useless,
>> unfortunately =85 I've read it, repeatedly, and it happily refers you =
>> the GUI =85
>>=20
>> The only thing that I found on that URL refers to "you should enable =
the
>> I/O APIC for virtual machines that you intend to use in 64-bit mode" =
=85
>> which David stated above that he has tried =85
>>=20
>> So =85 is there something specific at that URL (beyond the I/O APIC =
that
>> David did try) that he and I (and potentially others) have both =
missed
>> for this?
>=20
> It's also important to use the FreeBSD 64bit preset when creating a =
new vm. Don't know which is the correct switch for that on vboxmanage.
>=20
> You can also create such a vm on another box with the GUI and copy it =
to your headless server or use www/phpvirtualbox.

Okay, based on everything I've been able to find out, from here and othe =
resources, this should work:

VBoxManage createvm --basefolder /vm/1 --register --ostype Linux26_64 =
--name vbox.hub.org
VBoxManage modifyvm vbox.hub.org --memory 512 --nic1 bridged =
--bridgeadapter1 igb0 --ioapic on
VBoxManage createhd --filename /vm/1/vbox.hub.org/hdd0.vdi --size 20000
VBoxManage storagectl vbox.hub.org --name "IDE Controller" --add ide
VBoxManage storageattach vbox.hub.org --storagectl "IDE Controller" =
--port 0 --device 0 --type hdd --medium /vm/1/vbox.hub.org/hdd0.vdi
VBoxManage storageattach vbox.hub.org --storagectl "IDE Controller" =
--port 0 --device 1 --type dvddrive --medium =
/vm/ISO/CentOS-5.4-x86_64-cPanel.iso
VBoxHeadless --startvm vbox.hub.org --vnc --vncport 5901 --vncpass pass

I still get the 'Your CPU does not support long mode' =85 and I've =
triple checked, and the "Intel=AE Virtualization Technology" Setting is =
enabled in the BIOS (PhoenixBIOS, Supermicro Motherboard) =85 I've just =
found / enabled something called 'Intel VT for Directed I/O' as well =85 =
just in case ...

System is running FreeBSD 7-STABLE (a bit old, Apr 26th kernel) =85

checking vBox.log, I do see:

 grep -i VT VBox.log
00:00:01.075 HWACCM: No VT-x or AMD-V CPU extension found. Reason =
VERR_VMX_MSR_LOCKED_OR_DISABLED

Now, I did find:

   =
http://news.metaparadigma.de/win-oracle-virtualbox-workaround-for-initiali=
zation-issue-3395/

Which pretty much points everything to the BIOS =85 so I'm looking at =
potential BIOS upgrades for the server to see if that will correct it =85

But, is there anything wrong with what I've done above for setting up =
the VBox VM?  some switch that I should be setting that isn't =85 ?