Date:      Sun, 06 Nov 2011 12:50:57 +0900
From:      Stephane LAPIE <stephane.lapie@darkbsd.org>
To:        linux freaker <linuxfreaker@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for MegaRAID SAS on FreeBSD

--------------enig45E218B0E902806F532A8A77

Hi,

The instructions I provided work for 9.x and 8.x (well, minus the mfi.c
modification). To make things simple :
- For installing 6.x, 7.x and 8.x, just grab the appropriate archive
from LSI's site and use it as is. (don't modify the mfi.c !)
- For installing 9.x, grab the 8.x driver, modify the one line in mfi.c,
and use it.

1) To create the module for 9.0-RC1, yes, you could :
- Create a VM, install FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 in it
- Install the FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 source
- Apply the instructions for installing the module (it should be
loadable on a GENERIC kernel, then)
- Put the module on a USB key, or something

Installation itself should go something like this :
- Launch the installer on physical hardware
- Drop to a command prompt (if you have a liveFS), load your external
media, load the module to get the hardware detected
- Resume installation now that it can see your hardware
- Before rebooting, manually copy the mfi.ko to your /boot/kernel/
(erasing the older one!), and adding mfi_load=3D"YES" to your
/boot/loader.conf (these paths are relative to your brand new installatio=
n)

2) Alternatively, you could engineer your own release :
- Create a VM, install FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 in it
- Install the FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 source
- Apply the instructions for installing the module (it should be
loadable on a GENERIC kernel, then)
- Run a "make release" on the source (you would probably have a few
errors with the mfip modules and mfi_linux, but nothing too hard to solve=
)

And use the resulting ISO to install FreeBSD normally (since it would
have the special mfi module by default).

Cheers,