Date:      Sun, 3 Apr 2011 17:29:12 -0400
From:      Andrew Duane <aduane@juniper.net>
To:        "mips@freebsd.org" <mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Toiling away on booting the new blades

I've made real progress on getting our Octeon blades to boot with the other=
 bootstraps. After learning all about the app_descriptors and the octeon_bo=
otinfo structures, I've decided on a slightly more  modular approach. Rathe=
r than faking out the code by hand-crafting these structures, I've decided =
to teach the Octeon startup code how decode a standard MIPS bootinfo struct=
ure. FreeBSD already has this defined, and I can make it do pretty much eve=
rything I want. It's also completely deterministic as to which structure yo=
u have in "a3" based on the other registers.

It turns out this is pretty simple. I added a parallel routine to octeon_pr=
ocess_app_desc_ver_6 to parse a bootinfo and call cvmx_sysinfo_minimal_init=
ialize with the info I get from it. Very clean and tidy, and minimal disrup=
tion. After that, everything else "just works". I even found a routine to c=
raft a phy_mem_desc structure, but it doesn't look like I need it.

Since the MIPS bootinfo structure is already part of FreeBSD, is this code =
in the startup path something you'd be interested in taking in?

--
Andrew Duane             Juniper Networks
978-589-0551              10 Technology Park Dr