Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2011 00:28:33 +0100 (CET)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>,  John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port lang/gcc45 - not sure how to interpret GCC developers' advice

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 10:48:20AM -0800, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>> Yes, I believe that they do.  I think the important phrase is:
>> exact versions of these libraries listed as minimal versions
>>
>> which isn't very clear, but saying use the minimal version listed on
>> the page...  They probably had someone try w/ 4.3.3 and wonder why it
>> wasn't working so they added the exact verbage...

John-Mark, your interpretation is correct: exactly those versions
should be used according to the GCC SPARC maintainers because other
versions are sadly being miscompiled or something along these lines.

If you can suggest some clearer wording I will make sure it gets
considered/applied.

> ok, I get it. However, the ports above were pulled up and installed when
> I was building gcc45. So downgrading might break ports interdependency.
> I'll try instead to build GMP and MPFR with gcc44.

And, did that -- building the latest versions GMP and MPFR as in the
ports tree with gcc44 instead of gcc45 -- work for you?

Gerald