Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2012 17:09:55 -0400
From:      Allen Kenner <germaniak@outlook.com>
To:        "freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Spreading the word

Hello all=2C

I've been using FreeBSD on and off since 4.0. I have my FreeBSD Mouse Pad=
=2C my FreeBSD Stickers that literally cover my Laptop=2C and all of my Com=
puters=2C and my two FreeBSD tee shirts I wear with pride=2C and my FreeBSD=
 boxer Shorts as well. I also have purchased just about every Item availabl=
e on the FreeBSD Mall=2C and whenever someone asks me what it is=2C I take =
the time to explain to them what it is.

I'm just curious if I'm the only one who gets asked a lot about it. See=2C =
even though I'm a geeky person who's into the whole BSD and Computer Scienc=
e thing=2C not all my friends are. I have some friends who know next to not=
hing about Computers=2C and the vast majority of my Family don't know a thi=
ng about Computers. My Mom=2C who works at a Hospital here in the town in w=
hich I live=2C isn't a Computer person at all. She does work on them of cou=
rse doing the job and all=2C but knows next to nothing about Unix other tha=
n what I've told Her. Mainly because back when I still lived with Her=2C Sh=
e wanted to know why it was that I had spent over 500 dollars on things tha=
t said BSD on them.=20

I ended up making it easy on myself=3B I showed my Mom one of my Computers =
running FreeBSD=2C and what I could do. She doesn't like Computers=2C and S=
he's bored by them pretty fast=2C but She actually took some time to listen=
 for a change because=2C even though She doesn't like them=2C She did see t=
he amazing things possible with this little CD-ROM. And of course=2C She th=
ought it was great that the SUPER old POS Computer She had given me because=
 it wouldn't run the newest Windows stuff=2C was still being used by me bec=
ause it ran FreeBSD just fine.

I live in Michigan=2C and other than the fact that our economy is crap here=
=2C I thought "Why not use the Economy to my advantage?" And that's when I =
started to do that very thing:

See=2C before this=2C I would show people who awesome it was to be a user o=
f FreeBSD=2C and they all loved the idea=2C but as soon as I went over the =
way you have to install patches for security and bug fixes=2C I'd literally=
 lose about 99.999% of the people I'd reeled in.=20

They'd ask if there was another way=2C and I'd end up having to show them L=
inux. They liked that because they enjoyed the power inherint in Unix=2C bu=
t with a pretty GUI and easy to use tools. But see=2C now=2C we have PC-BSD=
! FreeBSD with a very pretty paint job=2C and all those super nice easy to =
use tools=2C all rolled into one. So now=2C when someone asks me about Free=
BSD=2C if I lose them at the point where they ask how you install patches=
=2C or security fixes=2C I just point them at PC-BSD=2C since it really is =
FreeBSD with some nice shiny paint=2C and of course=2C install software=2C =
patches=2C security fixes=2C and updates=2C is the same simple point and cl=
ick you have on Linux!

I'm actually glad I started using it too=3B I installed PC-BSD on my Laptop=
=2C and it's been wonderful. I now keep a selection of things around just f=
or these occasions=3B I have FreeBSD of course=2C and then I have PC-BSD=2C=
 because a lot of the problems I ran into were because of what it takes to =
patch.

Now=2C I admit=2C I too don't exactly enjoy that. I mean=2C if I want to ru=
n FreeBSD on a Desktop where I don't need any Server stuff=2C and I don't w=
ant to compile anything=2C my options for making sure my Ports get security=
 fixes=2C are very limited. I think this is something that we really could =
fix up. If PC-BSD can do it=2C why not FreeBSD?

Is anyone here aware of any work being done to make it so that Updating=2C =
Patching=2C and so on=2C on FreeBSD=2C becomes as easy as it is on PC-BSD? =
Personally I'm VERY biased towards FreeBSD=2C and I'd switch to it complete=
ly and no longer even bother much with Linux if I could just get it to wher=
e I could do security fixes on Ports without having to go through such a lo=
ng process.

How do YOU guys do it? Like just as an example=2C I'd like to know the foll=
owing:

Lets say you are setting up a new machine. It doesn't matter if it's a Serv=
er or a Desktop system=2C but lets just say you guys all got a new Computer=
=2C and are installing FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE on it=2C and you have finished w=
ith the installation=2C and now you want to get some Ports installed. What =
are your next steps? Like I myself for example=2C will generally then run p=
ortsnap to make sure they're updated=2C but the what? What do you do if you=
 then ran sysinstall and installed a bunch of packages as well?

What if you installed FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE=2C and then=2C you run up portsna=
p=2C install a few ports=2C and then=2C you ran sysinstall=2C and you insta=
lled a bunch of software from packages as well? You now start getting those=
 emails about how there are security patches you need to install. What do y=
ou do next? 		 	   		  =