Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2013 19:05:41 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC:  sysutils/u-boot-beaglebone-eabi

On Jul 31, 2013, at 11:45 PM, Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org> wrote:

> I (finally) got this port committed and would appreciate feedback.

I have problems building this on my build system, which runs =
FreeBSD/amd64 10.0-CURRENT (r253579) as a virtual machine under KVM. It =
fails when building math/gmp:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
[...]
checking for assembler .type directive... .type $1,@$2
checking for assembler .size directive... .size $1,$2
checking for assembler local label prefix... .L
checking for assembler byte directive... .byte
checking how to define a 32-bit word... .long
checking if .align assembly directive is logarithmic... no
checking size of void *... 8
checking size of unsigned short... 2
checking size of unsigned... 4
checking size of unsigned long... 8
checking size of mp_limb_t... 8
configure: error: Oops, mp_limb_t is 64 bits, but the assembler code
in this configuration expects 32 bits.
You appear to have set $CFLAGS, perhaps you also need to tell GMP the
intended ABI, see "ABI and ISA" in the manual.
=3D=3D=3D>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please report the problem to ale@FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach the
"/usr/ports/math/gmp/work/gmp-5.1.2/config.log" including the output of =
the
failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good idea to provide =
an
overview of all packages installed on your system (e.g. a
/usr/local/sbin/pkg-static info -g -Ea).
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/math/gmp
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/math/gmp
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/arm-eabi-gcc
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/arm-eabi-gcc
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/sysutils/u-boot-beaglebone-eabi
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

It does manage to install arm-eabi-binutils-2.23.2.  I have this in =
/etc/src.conf:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
WITHOUT_APM=3Dyes
WITHOUT_ATM=3Dyes
WITHOUT_BIND_DNSSEC=3Dyes
WITHOUT_BLUETOOTH=3Dyes
WITHOUT_CALENDAR=3Dyes
WITHOUT_CTM=3Dyes
WITHOUT_CVS=3Dyes
WITHOUT_FORTRAN=3Dyes
WITHOUT_FREEBSD_UPDATE=3Dyes
WITHOUT_GPIB=3Dyes
WITHOUT_HTML=3Dyes
WITHOUT_I4B=3Dyes
WITHOUT_IPFILTER=3Dyes
WITHOUT_IPFW=3Dyes
WITHOUT_IPX=3Dyes
WITHOUT_NDIS=3Dyes
WITHOUT_NCP=3Dyes
WITHOUT_PC_SYSINSTALL=3Dyes
WITHOUT_PPP=3Dyes
WITHOUT_PROFILE=3Dyes
WITHOUT_RCMDS=3Dyes
WITHOUT_RCS=3Dyes
WITHOUT_SHAREDOCS=3Dyes
WITHOUT_SYSINSTALL=3Dyes
WITHOUT_WIRELESS=3Dyes # No wireless cards
WITHOUT_WPA_SUPPLICANT_EAPOL=3Dyes
WITHOUT_ZFS=3Dyes
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

These are the only active settings I have in /etc/make.conf:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
RUBY_DEFAULT_VER=3D1.9
SVN_UPDATE=3Dyes
SVN=3D/usr/local/bin/svn