Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2013 22:57:39 -0700
From:      "Carlos E. Torchia" <ctorchia87@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compilation

Hey Michal, if you still subscribe,

I know this was a very long time ago, but this has been bugging me so I
want to thank you for your advice. This was 9 years ago.

Ultimately I just had a lot to learn. Besides not staying up all night to
solve dependency issues and writing to mailing lists in an upset tone. I'm
sorry about that. I was 17 at the time. I think I read your response, but
then I gave up on my project to make my own open source RPG at the time.

In some way I just wanted to get the job done. I looked at the PyGTK link
you posted. It looks like a pretty direct way to get started doing
drawings. A lot of other things would be involved with an RPG, including
sound, animations, and AI.

It's also good advice to not get frustrated, too.

Thanks,

Carlos

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 01:16:20 PDT, Michal Pasternak <
michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl> wrote:

> Carlos Torchia [Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 06:02:43AM +0100]:
> >* Hi.  I can't compile a program using the G2 graphics*>* library.  When=
 I tried compiling the program the first*>* time, cc said it didn't know th=
at g2.h was in*>* /usr/local/include, which I think is pretty stupid.*>* An=
yway, I put /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib in*>* the -I and -L param=
eters respectively.*
> Yes, that's correct. You need to pass -I and -L each time you compile a
> program, that has its libs / includes not in /usr/{lib,include} .
>
> There are 3 options: use Linux (which has almost everything in /usr/inclu=
de
> and /usr/lib, but you still have to pass -I and -L sometimes, for postgre=
sql
> for example); symlink all files in /usr/X11R6/{lib,include} and
> /usr/local/{lib,include} in your /usr/{lib,include} - which will clobber =
up
> your filesystem a bit; learn to write / use Makefiles or pkg-config stuff=
.

> For example, you could write Makefile like:
>
> 	myprogram: myprogram.c
> 		$(CC) -o myprogram `gtk-config --libs --cflags` myprogram.c
>
> >* Then it saw*>* the header and library files, but there were constant*>=
* errors saying that there were undefined references to*>* X11 functions wi=
thin libg2.a.*
> Aye! That's why you specify -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 and some more stuff on
> gcc command line.
>
> Too hard, too complicated, takes too much time? Well. Either write a good
> makefile, or try to learn some IDE for GCC (anjuta, kdevelop), which can
> propably take care of this automatically. I think, that learning
> automake/autoconf (the scripts, that generate "configure" script, that
> autodetects library locations) can be hard/unneeded for you at the moment=
.

> >* and how to redirect error output from*>* programs to files (or pipe th=
em), because everything I*>* need to now about Unix or FreeBSD comes from 7=
2 hours of*>* trying to figure out how to make a directory or something.*
> Google is your friend:http://www.bo.infn.it/alice/alice-doc/mll-doc/usrgd=
e/node18.html

> >* I'm sorry, but I just can't do anything in this operating*>* system.  =
I mean, finally I've found a library that makes*>* it simple to simply plot=
 a pixel in a window without*>* spending hours looking for a GTK tutorial t=
hat will tell*>* me about this stupid graphics context stuff that I don't*>=
* even know.  And now I gotta figure out about this stupid*>* g2 thing.  Ok=
.  Well anyway, thanks for any help you can*>* give me.*