Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2013 11:26:33 +0200
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Profiling with clang

Recently I've been using profiling with c++ -pg a lot. I'm developing
a simulation and have been able to more than double the performance,
just by focusing my attention on the top functions listed in the
profile. Inlining them, optimising them or finding ways to call them
less often.

Even though I use clang as my compiler, for profiling I have to refer
to the old gcc42. Is there any work on making profiling work with
clang?

On a side node, clang and gcc47 from ports produce equally fast
binaries (there is literally no difference outside of the error margin).

For both clang and gcc47 -O3 binaries are not faster than -O2 binaries.
They used to be slower, when the code was less polished.