Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2013 10:41:25 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bad contact on USB connection --> system hangs

Hi,

I consider this more a side note for the developers working on USB.

The machine:

uname -a
FreeBSD X220.ovitrap.com 10.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #21: Thu Jan
10 19:08:05 WIT 2013 erich@X220.ovitrap.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/X220
amd64

I have a contact problem with at least one USB hard disk. So, when I
move the notebook, the connection between disk and notebook gets
interrrupted. As long as the disk is not in use, nothing more happens.

This is different when the machine is writing to the device. It hangs
randomly the machine. Most of the time, I will get error messages that
the write did not succedd but also these hangs. I have not seen the
hang during a read yet.

I have not seen error messages on xconsole when the machine hangs but I
see the disconnected messages in all other cases.

As I am travelling, I have only the notebook with me. So, all I can
say that the machine does not react to anything anymore. I have to
power if off.

I hope this this gives some hints to the developers. I know how hard it
is to find errors like this.

Erich

PS:

This are the only relevant entries from /var/log/messages:

Jan 20 08:44:38 X220 kernel: GEOM_ELI: Encryption: AES-XTS 256
Jan 20 08:44:38 X220 kernel: GEOM_ELI:     Crypto: software
Jan 20 09:48:49 X220 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
Jan 20 09:48:49 X220 kernel: Copyright (c) 1992-2012 The FreeBSD
Project.